Monday, September 7, 2009

how to get out of signing a petition

The Beau and I tabled for PP at the State Fair last week. Our main goal was to get signatures for a petition for the Heathcare for Every Community campaign - to remind congress that reproductive health care (from mammograms to birth control and more) must be included in the new health care reform bill. We had to ignore all the timid feelings and really get in peoples faces, since as soon as they spotted our clipboards, fair-attendees averted their eyes and scurried past. I practiced my best public health confidence and got three pages of signatures! This experience showed me how truly red my state would be without my city, though. The State Fair was in the capital and people came from all over. Many of them were very upset that PP was there because apparently their goal is to kill babies. Most of the people that didn't want to sign ignored us or told us they didn't support abortion. But we did get some creative excuses as well.
My favorite: I asked a man if he was registered to vote (only registered voters count on the petition) and he replied, "sorry, I'm a convicted felon." We volunteers debated whether it was true or his excuse to get away from us.

No comments: