Thursday, September 17, 2009

magical migraine cure?

I've been at the mercy of Headaches of Doom for over a year now. Two months ago La Doctora started me on meds for migraine prophylaxis. Though they come less frequently now, they're not gone. So I begged La Doctora for something to deal with the headaches that aren't prevented. She prescribed sumatriptan. I've taken it three times now, including once today.
It takes nearly an hour, and being incredibly uncomfortable by the time I swallow the little white triangle, I usually try to nap until the pain subsides. Each time I sleep some, then wake up after an hour feeling, well, strange.
My head feels great. But my stomach, oy! The nausea passes after 30min or so, but for the rest of the day I have acidy indigestion and burping. But that's not the strange feeling.
I actually feel strrrrraaaaaannnnge. Floaty, spacey, giddy.... out of my element. My landlord came over to let me know new neighbors are moving in next week and I was embarrassed to be so loopy. I was afraid he would think I had been taking drugs. Well, I guess I had been. I'm afraid for the day I have a migraine when I have clinicals. I'll have to work extra hard to focus and not appear stoned, as well as hiding my horrible acidic burps. Yuck! Better than my puffy, leaky-eyed, agonizing headaches, I suppose.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Sad face! :( I say go back & talk to la dactora about an alternative migraine med w/ fewer side effects. There's plenty of options out there: no need to stick with the first thing that you try.
Oh, and while I'm SURE that being a nursing student yourself you know this, staying away from caffeine can help w/ migraines. And make sure you stay hydrated. Hmmm, no caffeine + nursing school. That in itself could leave you just as looooooopy!!