Wednesday, September 23, 2009

take it easy

School starts back up again on Monday, so The Beau and I escaped to the woods of Crater Lake for a bit before things get hectic again. It was Wonderful! Beautiful, peaceful, quiet, sunny, woodsy loveliness. The Beau doesn't have much camping history, so I had fun introducing him to things like pizza mountain pies. MMmmm mountain pies.
We stayed at the Natural Bridge campground, which was right ON the Rogue River just upstream of the 200 feet section of the river that is diverted underground! into a lava tube. It was a small "primitive" campground that we LOVED.
Before we even arrived in Rogue River National Forest, we spent a few hours on I-5. I discovered an interesting change in myself. When I lived back east, my average highway speed was 80 mph. I zipped from here to there, racing the clock. On this trip I was content to drive 65. Back east, someone going 65 would have to stay in the right lane because everyone else would be flying past. But I found myself passing on the left going 65.
It's something about the laid back nature of the West.
It has rubbed off on me.

No comments: