Monday, September 17, 2007

Two Weeks In

I am still surprised at how easily I've adjusted (so far) to a totally new city where I know so few people. Gabe was the only one I was in touch with in the days before I arrived, and I've only seen him once! He's a busy bee in his 2nd year of med school. I finally got in touch with Ian and we spent Saturday night at a brew fest on the coast. A few home-brewers brought in their beers, and the large group of partiers tasted each one and voted for the two best. Some of us took a hike around the property on a blackberry hunt/feast. Blackberry bushes were everywhere! Later three bands played into the wee hours and we camped out on the host's 5 acres of forested coast land. It was a beautiful place, and the rain waited until we were packing up the car to leave the next morning.
I've applied to a few jobs in the area, but not enough time has passed for me to have heard back yet. I did, however, interview and get accepted to an exclusive doula group called PDX Doulas. The doulas in this group are assigned one shift a week in which they are on-call for 12hours. Women who arrive at OHSU to give birth are offered a free (volunteer) doula and if they accept, whoever is on-call comes in and stays for the whole birth. Right now PDX Doulas is supported by a grant from Care Oregon, so the volunteer doulas do receive a small payment for each birth (regardless of how many hours it lasts). I am so excited to start assisting laboring women, and I feel privileged to be a part of this special organization. It is a large commitment, but I'm happy that women who ordinarily wouldn't or couldn't have the benefit of a doula now have that opportunity. I am so lucky to have found and been accepted to participate!

No comments: