Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Student Nurse: Fall term, week two, take two

Holy crap, who knew they'd be talking about ME when they named my unit trauma?

Okay it's not that bad. I didn't get hurt or pooped on (yet).

But wow did I see some crazy stuff and oh man did that one patient's giant, infected, abdominal wound draining copious! amounts of purulent exudate (pus) SMELL. AWFUL. I could feel my stomach flipping around the whole time I was in her room. Thank goodness I didn't start gagging right in front of that sweet woman, she was already so embarrassed about the stench that she kept apologizing - which made me fixate on it. Oy.

Nosefulls-of-peppermint-chapstick and nursing.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

no, it's just not possible. It's just not possible that even from a distance of thousands of miles and even not in real time...you have the uncanny ability to spoil my appetite! Next time, I will not read your posts right before lunch. hahaha